American Sign Language

Today, I have a very bad sore throat. I wish my family knew sign language! I wouldn't have to try to whisper, just sign to them. :o)
When I was a teenager, I learned a mixture of American Sign Language and English Sign Language. There were two ladies who signed for the deaf in our church; from them I learned songs first, then later was able to sign for the preaching.

The Basics of Using Sign Language -- powered by ExpertVillage.com

Signing to deaf people is very different than speech. Signing naturally takes longer than speech, and deaf people take 'shortcuts' just like we do, but even more so. They express the main parts of a sentence, but not necessarily in the order we do. Also, they usually do not understand figures of speech. As a teen, I didn't fully realize either of these things, and I probably confused those poor people!
In the video below, if you watch carefully, you may be able to pick up on the 'backward' shortened sentences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colonial Life in North Carolina, Est. 1653

Our Family - The Normans